Friday, April 26, 2013

Quinoa Salad

Alright, this recipe has a bit of chopping and if you're like me that can be dangerous. I did nearly take off my pointer finger chopping the onions for this recipe. I blame the lack of a good knife at the moment, not my skill. Next time I'm out I need to remind myself to purchase a suitable knife, but then again what could I blame for all the nicks to my fingers?

This recipe is super healthy. The quiona is packed full of protein. It has 9 essential amino acids folks! That means ALL of the amino acids you need to obtain from your diet to build proteins. The rest of the amino acids that we need to build protein are nonessential, meaning your body makes them on its own. It has more fiber than almost every other grain, keeping your digestion system moving and your stomach feeling fuller for longer. Also, it has things like iron, manganese, lysine, and riboflavin all aiding in growth and repair, keeping your muscles and body working perfectly. You really can't beat that. 

And you know what, quinoa tastes pretty great too. In my opinion, it works like chicken, taking on any flavor you want. The possibilities are endless. This recipe takes quiona a little to the mediterranean side. 



Quinoa Salad
1 c. quinoa
2 c. water
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. olive oil 
1/2 c. black olives, halved
1/2 c. green peppers, chopped
1/2 c. onions, chopped
1/2 c. tomatoes, diced
1/2 c. feta cheese
salt and pepper

Bring water to boil. Add quinoa and bring back to a boil, reduce and simmer for ~20 mins or until water is absorbed. Transfer to another bowl and let cool to room temperature. Add the red wine vinegar and olive oil, olives, peppers, onions, tomatoes and cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Chill for 1-2 hours to let flavors come together. 

Now you got yourself a yummy AND healthy salad packed full of protein, fiber and complex carbs.



Plus, the word "quinoa" just sounds cool! Wouldn't ya say? Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Re: your knife issue. Being the vast knowledge base on knives that I am, I recommend just about any non-serrated, stainless steel chopping knife. When I say chopping knife, I mean one where the blade is at least an inch and a half or more wider than the handle is, simply for the sake of ergonomics and not busting your knuckles on your cutting board and bleeding all over your wonderful dishes. And I recommend the straight over serrated because in all the serrated kitchen knives I've seen, the serrations are too small to sharpen as needed and it doesn't give you a solid cutting stroke like a straight blade. *Additional kitchen cutlery tip - you can sharpen any and all of your kitchen knives really quick and easy on that rough circle on the bottom of most ceramic coffee mugs. Just make sure you give both sides of the blade the same amount of strokes for a good, evenly sharpened edge.

    ReplyDelete