Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Rhubarb Iced Tea

Wow, how time flies. It has been almost a year since I posted anything within my blog. I have no idea where the time went, but I think it probably went to preparing lectures, grading papers and making students cry. Just kidding. I would never purposely make a student cry.

That doesn't mean they don't cry though. They do. More often than you'd imagine. Mostly because they waited until the last minute to care about their grade.

Plus, it was a really loooong winter. Incredibly long and I love winter. I really do. I love big warm sweaters, comfy boots and hot chocolate. However, by the end of April I was ready for some desirable weather....where the AIR didn't burn the skin on my face, or freeze the snot in my nose.

So, we've finally come to have some weather that doesn't require a warm scarf. This could mean one of two things, I have more time or I'm just motivated to do more than just crawl up in a ball under some heavy blankets.

And here we are at spring. Beautiful beautiful spring. With spring comes lots of delicious things like rhubarb and enough mud to make me dread letting my dog out to pee.

We were planting in the garden today, but a bunch of storms came through which cut our planting time short. So, while I was retreating in doors I decided to look up some new and different recipes for rhubarb. At the time, I was thirsty so this iced tea really caught my attention. It definitely quenched my thirst and there was nothing difficult about it.


I found the recipe in a Martha Stewart magazine from probably a decade ago and then I found it on Pinterest.

Rhubarb Iced Tea
10 cups water
10 rhubarb stems (cut into halves or thirds)
1/2 cup sugar (or more to taste)

Add the 10 cups of water and rhubarb stems into a large saucepan, bring to a boil and then simmer for roughly an hour. Strain the liquid into a pitcher and add 1/2 cup sugar while hot. Stir. Chill before serving. 

Tips: If you want the pretty pink color, pick the younger thinner rhubarb stems. They have more red than green and will make your ice tea the appealing pink color you want, instead of green. Also, add the sugar while it's hot so that it can dissolve into the tea easier.




You know what else is abundant during spring? These orange poppy flowers. They'll brighten up any yard.


Enjoy the rhubarb iced tea! 

No comments:

Post a Comment