Monday, June 24, 2013

Fruit Filled Waffle Cups

This past weekend was super busy. I like being busy, but sometimes it makes time go way too fast. I suppose if it was a horrible time then that would be okay, but we all know that is usually not the case. 

The weekend was filled with lots of great things and some bad. I'm not going to go into details, but I got to share a special day with a good friend, enjoy good company and bake. Nonetheless, we also found out that our uncle had a heart attack and that someone else also put a bid on my dream house. 

Our uncle is okay, thankfully.

But the dream house is now probably in someone else's hands. 

But as my philosophy has always been, what will be will be. Que sera sera. 

Anyway (do I say 'anyway' a lot? I feel like I do.), I've seen pictures of fruit salad in waffle cones floating around for awhile on pinterest. And I've always thought, what an ingenious idea! Some people are just so clever! 

I envy you clever people!

I am in a wedding and for the bridal shower I decided to make these fruit filled waffle cones. I changed them up a little. And this is what I came up with.

You should know that this recipe was to make 50 waffle cones. However, it would be totally easy to slim it down to make whatever you need. You should also know that there was not one left over. All totally gone. So, yes, they are as good as they look. 

Plus, they look pretty fancy without all the fancy work. And we all know how much I love that. 

The actual fruit salad recipe is from Taste of Home. I changed it up a little to fit what I had and to use less sugar.

Fruit Filled Waffle Cups
4 cups blueberries
4 cups grapes, sliced in half
4 cups pineapple, chunks
4 cups watermelon, chunks
4 cups strawberries, quartered
4 cups blackberries
10 oz pina colada alcoholic mix
1/4 c sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/8 tsp coconut extract
50 waffle cups
2-12 oz bags of milk chocolate

Mix the pina colada mix, sugar, almond and coconut extracts. Make the fruit salad by combining the first 6 ingredients in a large container and pouring the pina colada mixture over top. Mix everything well and let sit over night. If the salad seems dry the next day make more of the pina colada mixture and add to the fruit. My fruit was excessively juicy, so I had a lot of liquid the next morning. I actually drained some of it. 



First, I decided to use mostly waffle cups instead of cones. I just thought they would be easier to eat at the bridal shower and looked more delicate. I did use some waffle cones though, because I bought up all the cups they had at the store and still needed more. Second, I was very worried about the waffle cups/cones getting soggy, since I had to do this in advance. So, to solve that problem I melted one bag of chocolate and painted the bottom of the cups and cones with it. You can literally just drop a tblsp in the bottom and then use a brush to spread it. I let the chocolate set for 15 mins.






I then filled the cups to the brim with the fruit salad made the night before. I used a slotted spoon to drain excess liquid from the fruit salad. Then, I melted the second bag of chocolate, put it in a squeeze bottle and drizzled it over the fruit and cups. And since we have mint by the billions growing outside, I picked some leaves, rinsed them and placed them on the side to add a little pop of color.










Just a little side note. The waffle cones still ended up getting soggy since they laid on their side and I did not paint the chocolate up the entire side of the cone. If I was to do this again, I would paint the entire inside of the waffle cones with chocolate. This was not the case with the waffle cups. They stayed pretty firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment